Daniel Peter Loucks
Daniel P. Loucks continues to teach and direct research in the development and application of economics, ecology and systems analysis methods to the solution of environmental and regional water resources problems at Cornell and in Delft, NL, and Vienna, Austria. He has written numerous articles and co-authored books on these topics, including two widely used text books on water resources planning and management. He has held positions of Department chair and Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies in the College of Engineering. During periods of leave from Cornell, Loucks has had appointments at other universities in the US, Europe, and Australia, at the World Bank and at the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis in Austria, and as a consultant to numerous governmental and international agencies and consulting companies.
Development and Application of Environmental Engineering, Economics, Ecology, and Systems Analysis methods for addressing regional environmental and water resources issues.
Water Resource Systems Modeling Public Systems Modeling Engineering Economics and Management
- Wild, T.B.; Loucks, D.P., Annandale, G.W., and Kaini, P. 2016, “Maintaining Sediment Flows through Hydropower Dams in the Mekong River Basin”, Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, Vol. 142 No. 1 ASCE, ISSN 0733-9496/05015004(14)/
- Cosgrove, W. J., and D. P. Loucks, 2015, Water management: Current and future challenges and research directions, Water Resour. Res., 51, 4823–4839, doi:10.1002/ 2014WR016869.
- Barbour, E.J., L. Holz, G. Kuczera, C.A. Pollino, A.J. Jakeman, D.P. Loucks, 2016, Optimisation as a process for managing river ecosystems, Environmental Modeling and Software, Volume 83, September, Pages 167–178
- Carr, G., Loucks, D. P. & Blöschl, G. 2017, Evaluating interdisciplinary research and education programmes: a framework. Research Policy, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2017.09.010
- Loucks, D.P. and van Beek, E., 2017,Water Resource Systems Planning and Management, An Introduction to Methods, Models, and Applications, Springer International Publishing, DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-44234-1, Print ISBN 978-3-319-44232-7, Online ISBN 978-3-319-44234-1
Selected Awards and Honors
Prince Sultan Bin Abdulaziz International Prize for Water (Management), December, 2016
Honorary Diplomate (American Academy of Water Resources Engineers) 2013
- Lifetime Achievement Award (American Society of Civil Engineering Environmental & Water Resources Institute) 2010
- Elected to Distinguished Member (American Society of Civil Engineers) 1998
- U.S. Senior Scientist Research Award (Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany) 1992
- Elected to the National Academy of Engineering 1989
- BS, Penn State Univ. 1994
- MF, Yale University, 1955
- PhD, Cornell University, 1965