Skip to main content

Support Services

in this section

Having problems managing your workload or your time? Have you been sleeping more but still feel tired all the time? Having problems getting out of bed and getting motivated? Each year, many students in the College and the University find that they are having problems academically, socially, and/or personally. Deciding how you respond to these obstacles can profoundly affect your level of success at Cornell.

Cornell offers several resources to help students who are having problems academically:

Biology Advising Center

8am-4:30pm Monday-Thursday; 8am-4pm Friday; 216 Stimson Hall
Tel: (607) 255-0470; Fax: (607) 255-0669; Email:

Engineering Advising Office

8:00am-4:30pm; 167 Olin Hall
Tel: (607) 255-7414; Fax: (607) 255-9297; Email:

Learning Strategies Center

8:30am-4:30pm Monday-Friday; 420 Computing and Communications Center (CCC)
Tel: (607) 255-6310
Cornell University: Learning Strategies Center

Math Support Center

Open during Academic Year or as posted: 10:00am-5:00pm Monday-Friday
and 1:30pm-5:30pm Sunday; 256 Malott Hall
Tel: (607) 255-4658; Email:

Writing Workshop

8:30am-5:00pm Monday-Friday call for an appointment; 174 Rockefeller Hall
Tel: (607) 255-6349; Fax: (607) 255-4010

Walk-In Locations:

  • 178 Rockefeller Hall; 3:30pm-5:30pm and 7:00pm-10:00pm Monday-Thursday and 2:00pm-8:00pm Sunday
  • 3343 Balch Hall at the Carol Tatkon Center; 7:00pm-10:00pm Sunday-Thursday
  • 222 Robert Purcell Community Center (RPCC); 7:00pm-10:00pm Sunday-Wednesday
  • 320 Noyes Center; 7:00pm-10:00pm Sunday-Thursday

Minority & Women’s Programs in Engineering

8:00am-4:30pm; 146 Olin Hall
Tel: (607) 255-7514; Email:

Mental Wellness Support

Sometimes obstacles aren't rooted in study habits but in medical or psychological problems. These range from low iron or blood sugar to depression or anxiety. For many students this is the first time they are living away from home and are responsible for their own well-being. Although many people see you each day and may genuinely care about you, no one is making sure that you are eating well, getting regular exercise, and are healthy. Indeed, it is less likely that people will recognize if you're facing some minor or major emotional problem, especially if you are living off-campus. It is important that you care for yourself, and ask for help and direction from your Resident Advisor, faculty advisor, or other campus or community office/agency.

Cornell offers mental wellness support to students through the following services, among others:

CAPS (Counseling and Psychological Services) at Gannett

Cornell University Health Services;
Tel: (607) 255-5208, after hours call (607) 255-5155; Email:

CAPS has noted a trend that engineering students tend to wait a long time before they seek assistance. This behavior results from the usually "mistaken belief" that the problem solving skills of engineers extend to emotional and psychological issues. Failure to seek help usually ends up putting the student in more academic and personal risk. If you are really stressed, tired all the time, having trouble getting yourself to class, not able to complete assignments on time, confused about life in general, sad, anxious, or just want someone to talk to so you can decompress, contact CAPS. Oftentimes just talking with a trained professional can help you feel better. Note: each student is limited to 12 individual counseling sessions per year, this is not long-term counseling.

EARS (Empathy and Referral Service);

Tel: (607)255-3277
Free and confidential.

Suicide Prevention and Crisis Service;

Tel: (607) 272-1616
Free and confidential.

General Medical Problems

Gannett Health Center; Tel: (607) 255-5155;

If you’ve had a lingering health concern, please have it checked out. Even minor illnesses can detract from your overall enjoyment of the college experience.