Daniel Peter Loucks
Daniel P. Loucks continues to teach and direct research in the development and application of economics, ecology and systems analysis methods to the solution of environmental and regional water resources problems at Cornell and in Delft, NL, and Vienna, Austria. He has written numerous articles and co-authored books on these topics, including two widely used text books on water resources planning and management. He has held positions of Department chair and Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Studies in the College of Engineering. During periods of leave from Cornell, Loucks has had appointments at other universities in the US, Europe, and Australia, at the World Bank and at the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis in Austria, and as a consultant to numerous governmental and international agencies and consulting companies.
Development and Application of Environmental Engineering, Economics, Ecology, and Systems Analysis methods for addressing regional environmental and water resources issues.
Water Resource Systems Modeling Public Systems Modeling Engineering Economics and Management
- 2014. "Water and the Future of Humanity: Revisiting Water Security." In Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation Think Tank on Water and the Future of Humanity. Springer. .
- 2013. "Integrated river basin planning and management: a case study of the Zayandehrud River basin, Iran." Water International 38 (6): 724-743. .
- 2014. "Using Water for Urban Renewal." In Livable Cities of the Future: Proceedings of a Symposium Honoring the Legacy of George Bugliarello , edited by Mohammed Karamouz and Thomas F. Budinger , 61-72. National Academy of Engineering; NYU Polytechnic School of Engineering. .
- 2014. "Developing a dynamic framework to examine the interplay between environmental stress, stakeholder participation processes and hydrological systems." Paper presented at Evolving Water Resources Systems: Understanding, Predicting and Managing Water-Society Interactions Proceedings of ICWRS2014, Bologna, Italy, June. .
- 2014. "Managing flow, sediment, and hydropower regimes in the Sre Pok, Se San, and Se Kong Rivers of the Mekong basin." Water Resources Research 50 (6): 5141-5157. .
Selected Awards and Honors
- Honorary Diplomate (American Academy of Water Resources Engineers) 2013
- Lifetime Achievement Award (American Society of Civil Engineering Environmental & Water Resources Institute) 2010
- Elected to Honorary Member (American Society of Civil Engineers) 1998
- U.S. Senior Scientist Research Award (Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany) 1992
- Elected to the National Academy of Engineering 1989
- BS (Forestry), Pennsylvania State University, 1954
- MF (Environmental Engineering), Yale University, 1955
- Ph D (Environmental Engineering), Cornell University, 1965