CEE Graduate Field Handbook

This handbook is intended as a guide for current and prospective CEE graduate students to map the procedures and forms necessary for successful completion of graduate research degree requirements. Browse the handbook below or contact the graduate coordinator for a PDF/text copy..

CEE Graduate Field Handbook

Program Overview

Click to Open

Degree Offered

Major concentrations offered and available degree programs
Engineering Management (M.Eng. only)
Environmental Processes (M.Eng., M.S., M.S/Ph.D., Ph.D.)
Environmental & Water Resource Systems Engineering (M.Eng., M.S./Ph.D., Ph.D.)
Geotechnical Engineering (no longer accepting students within this concentration)
Environmental Fluid Mechanics/Hydrology (M.Eng., M.S., M.S./Ph.D., Ph.D.)
Remote Sensing (M.Eng., M.S., M.S/Ph.D., Ph.D.)
Structural Engineering (M.Eng., M.S./Ph.D., Ph.D.)
Transportation Systems Engineering (M.Eng., M.S./Ph.D., Ph.D.)

Master of Engineering (M.Eng.)
A coursework and project-oriented degree program usually completed in two semesters if started in the Fall. Admission to this program generally requires an undergraduate degree, or equivalent coursework, in an appropriate field of engineering. No thesis is required; a final written report on a real-world design project replaces the thesis. The program requires a minimum of 30 credit hours of technical graduate-level course work and work on a real-world design project. The project may either be in a group setting or an individual project.  The program is intended for those interested in professional practice and engineering. Both the M.Eng. and M.S. degrees are excellent preparation for a Ph.D. program or for a professional career. The M.Eng. program is housed within the College of Engineering, not the Graduate School. Policies and procedures for M.Eng. students are different than M.S. or Ph.D. 

Master of Science (M.S.)
A research-oriented degree program usually completed within two years (four semesters); it requires an independently written thesis and concomitant defense. Admission to this program generally requires an undergraduate degree, or equivalent coursework, in an appropriate field of engineering, although the environmentally-oriented concentrations may be able to accept students who have a strong physical sciences background. Each concentration determines specific course requirements. Each student's program (course work and research) is individualized and decided upon in consultation with a Special Committee which the student selects and that is made up of faculty from the student’s major and minor subject areas.  The program is intended for those interested in a research or academic career and, generally, continuation into a Ph.D. program. Both the M.Eng. and M.S. degrees are excellent preparation for a Ph.D. program or for a professional career. Please see the assessment page for more information. The final step towards degree completion is passing the M Exam.

The M.S./Ph.D. program is sequential. Students first complete M.S. requirements and once the M Exam is taken, and the thesis complete for the M.S., a program change into the Ph.D. will take place. Minimum funding promise for admittance into the M.S./Ph.D. program is five years.

Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
An in-depth research-oriented degree program that is usually completed within 3 to 5 years (3 years is minimum; 4.9 years is average). Many concentrations expect those applying for direct admission to the Ph.D. program to have a master's degree in an appropriate area first; otherwise, they should apply to the combined M.S./Ph.D. program. Matriculants to Environmental Processes often join the PhD program with an undergraduate degree, or equivalent. Please see the assessment page for more information. 


Click to Open

The field has no specific core course requirements in terms of course selectivity across the field or on an individual concentration basis. However, for Ph.D. students, by the end of the third semester and when the Q exam has been taken, a 12 graded course credit minimum is expected to be met. Should the Q-exam be taken by the end of the second semester, a 9 graded course credit course minimum needs to have been met.   These credits are not necessarily restricted to concentration specific course requirements, if any, but they should be at or above the 5XXX level. Per the chair’s request, an exception may be made for up to two 3XXX or 4XXX level courses to count towards the Q-exam graded course credit requirement. Additionally, the students are expected to have at least the minimum additional credits of coursework, strictly above the 5XXX level, by graduation totaling a minimum of 18 credits. 3XXX and 4XXX level courses do not count towards these 18 credits required for graduation. Each concentration is free to determine its own core course requirements, and individualized study plans are formalized by a student’s Special Committee. Cornell’s Satisfactory Academic Progress policy stipulates that students in research degrees must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.75 to be in good academic standing. Please see the Q exam policy for exceptions.

EFMH – M.S. & Ph.D.
Course requirements are selected and approved by each student’s advisor and special committee. A list of recommended core courses is provided to all incoming students. Typical advisor approved electives will depend on availability in each given semester.

EFMH Core Courses (Recommended)
MAE 6010 Fluid Mechanics
MAE 6310 Turbulence
CEE 6550 Transport and Mixing in the Environment
CEE 6000 Advanced Numerical Methods for Engineers
CEE 6330 Physical hydrology in the built and natural environments
CEE 6370 Experimental Fluid Mechanics

EFMH Elective Courses

CEE 6300 Spectral Methods for Incompressible Environmental Flows  

CEE 6305 Special Topics in Hydraulics and Hydrology: Boundary Layer Meteorology and Urban Climates

CEE 6360 Environmental Fluid Mechanics

CEE 7360 Turbulence and Mixing in Environmental Stratified Flows

Environmental Processes Core Courses M.S. & Ph.D.
The Environmental Processes (EP) faculty recommends that students select a majority of courses from among the following “core courses” and “elective courses” offered by the Environmental Processes faculty. The “core courses” are typically offered every academic year and the “elective courses” are offered less frequently.

EP Core Courses
CEE 6420 Energy Technologies and Subsurface Resources (Spring semester)

CEE 6560 Physical/Chemical Processes (Fall semester)

CEE 6530 Water Chemistry (Fall semester)

CEE 6565 Waste Water Processes and Resources Recovery (Fall semester)

CEE 6570 Biological Processes (Spring semester – status of course is unclear as of AY21/22)

CEE 5510 Microbiology for Environmental Engineering (Fall semester)

EP Elective Courses

CEE 6005-105 Noise in Biology & Environmental Sciences

CEE 6XXX Stochastic Modeling of Complex Systems

CEE 6580 Biodegradation and Biocatalysis

CEE 6585 Biogeochemical Reaction Modeling

CEE 6590 Environmental Organic Chemistry

Other Relevant Courses

BEE 6310 Multivariate Statistics for Environmental Applications

CEE 6320 – Hydrology

CEE 6970 – Risk Analysis and Management

CEE 6550 - Transport, Mixing, and Transformation in the Environment

CEE 6660 - Multiobjective Systems Engineering Under Uncertainty

CEE 5930 Data Analytics

Speak with your major advisor for ideas on dozens of other relevant courses offered around the Cornell campus.

EWRS, M.S. & Ph.D.

EWRS Elective Courses
This list is not meant to preclude additional electives that can be approved by a student’s graduate advisor or committee member in EWRS.

CEE 5200 Economics of the Energy Transition

CEE 5240 Model Based Systems Engineering

CEE 5252 Systems Analysis Behavior and Optimization

CEE 5735/6736 Mathematical Modeling of Natural and Engineered Systems

CEE 5745 Inverse Problems: Theory and Applications

CEE 5795 Sensors for the Built and Natural Environments

CEE 5820 Global Food, Energy, and Water Nexus

CEE 5930 Data Analytics

CEE 5970 Risk Analysis and Management

CEE 5980 Decision Framing and Analytics

CEE 6000 Advanced Numerical Methods for Engineers

CEE 6100 Remote Sensing Fundamentals

CEE 6XXX Stochastic Modeling of Complex Systems

CEE 6200 Water-Resources Systems Engineering

CEE 6330 Physical Hydrology in the Built and Natural Environment

CEE 6550 Transport and Mixing in the Environment

CEE 6665 Modeling and Optimization for Smart Infrastructure Systems

CEE 6660 Multiobjective Systems Engineering Under Uncertainty

CEE 6770 Natural Hazards, Reliability, and Insurance

CEE 6790 Time Series Data Analysis for Civil, Mechanical and Geophysical Applications

CEE 6800 Engineering Smart Cities

CEE 6880 Applied Modeling and Simulation for Renewable Systems

CEE 6930 Public Systems Modeling

BEE 6110 Hydrologic Engineering in a Changing Climate

BEE 6310 Multivariate Statistics for Environmental Applications

SYSEN 6000 Foundations of Complex Systems

SYSEN 5888 Deep Learning

ORIE 5300 Optimization I

ORIE 5310 Optimization II

ORIE 5510 Introduction to Stochastic Processes

CS 5780 Introduction to Machine Learning

CS 5786 Machine Learning for Data Science

CS 5789 Introduction to Reinforcement Learning

Transportation Systems Engineering, M.S. & Ph.D.

Transportation Systems Engineering Core Courses (required)

CEE 6620 Analysis and Control of Transportation Systems and Networks 3 Cr Fall

CEE 6640 Microeconometrics of Discrete Choice                                    3 Cr Spring

Transportation Systems Engineering Core Courses (recommended)

CEE 6648 Sustainable Transportation Systems Design                             3 Cr Fall

CEE 5930 Data Analytics                                                                        3 Cr Fall

Transportation Systems Engineering Elective Courses

CRP 5040 Urban Economics

CRP 5080 Intro to Geographic Information Systems

CRP 5170 Economic Development

CRP 5190 Urban Theory and Spatial Development

CRP 5520 Land Use Planning

CRP 5840 Green Cities

CRP 6090 Urban and Regional Theory

CRP 6860 Planning for Sustainable Transportation

CEE 5290 Heuristic Methods for Optimization

CEE 5900 Project Management

CEE 5970 Risk Analysis and Management

CEE 6620 Analysis and Control of Transportation Systems and Networks

CEE 6640 Microeconometrics of Discrete Choice

CEE 6665 Modeling and Optimization for Smart Infrastructure Systems

CEE 6930 Public Systems Modeling

ECON 5540 Economics of Regulation

ECON 6090 Microeconomic Theory

AEM 6170 Decision Models for Small & Large Businesses

AEM 6320 Public Private Sector Economics Linkages

AEM 6330 Devolution, Privatization, & the New Public Management

ORIE 5300 Optimization I

ORIE 5310 Optimization II

ORIE 5510 Introduction to Stochastic Processes

ORIE 6580 Simulation Modeling & Analysis

NBA 6410 Supply Chain Management

Structural Mechanics and Materials M.S./Ph.D. & Ph.D.
Course requirements are selected and approved by each student’s advisor and special committee. Typical advisor approved electives will depend on availability in each given semester:

Structural Mechanics and Materials Elective Courses

CEE 5735/CEE 6736: Mathematical Modeling of Natural & Engineered Systems 

CEE 5950: Construction Planning and Operations 

CEE 6000: Numerical Methods for Engineers 

CEE 6720: Introduction to Finite Element Method

CEE 6730: Design of Concrete Structures

CEE 6770: Natural Hazards, Reliability, and Insurance

CEE 6790: Time Series Data Analysis

CEE 7710: Stochastic Problems Engineering and Science 

MAE 5700: Finite Element Analysis for Mechanical and Aerospace Design

MAE  6110: Foundations of Solid Mechanics 

MAE  6010: Foundations of Fluid Mechanics

MAE  6130: Mechanics of Composite Structures 

MAE  6730: Intermediate Dynamics and Vibrations 

MAE  5010: Future Energy Systems 

MAE  6810: Methods of Applied Mathematics   

ICS 6210: Numerical Analysis and Differential Equations 


BME 5810: Soft Tissue Biomechanics 

CEE 5745/CEE 6745 Inverse Problems: Theory and Applications

CEE 5795: Sensors for the Built and Natural Environments

CEE 6725: 3D Printing Parts that Don’t Break

CEE 6750: Concrete Materials and Construction

CEE 6780: Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering 

CEE 7740: Advanced Structural Concrete

CS 6220: Introduction to Scientific Computation 

MAE  5130: Mechanical Properties of Thin Films 

MAE  5790: Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos 

MAE  6120: Foundations of Solid Mechanics II 

MAE  6160: Advanced Composite Materials 

MAE  6640: Mechanics of Bone  

MAE 6780: Methods of Applied Mathematics   

IIMSE 6020: Elasticity, Plasticity, and Fracture 

TAM  6680: Elastic Waves in Solids with Applications 

Incomplete (INC) grades
The Graduate School does not allow the grade to be changed after one year.

It is imperative that you check with course instructors before auditing a course. In some cases auditing a course means you commit to attending each course, participating, and turning in homework. You are exempt from exams for the course. Audited courses result in a grade. Students are strongly recommended to check with the course instructor about the exact requirements involved with auditing a particular course.

Field Exams (Research Students)

Click to Open

M.S. students take one exam, the M Exam, in order to be awarded their M.S. degree. This exam is required by the Graduate School. It is an oral defense of their thesis and all committee members must attend. Per the Code of Legislation. The Graduate Faculty requires research master’s students writing a thesis to take a final examination upon completion of all degree requirements, no earlier than one month before completion of the minimum registration requirement (Code VI.F.1.a.). Per the Code of Legislation.

Ph.D. students need to take three exams – one of which is required by CEE and two which are required by the Graduate School:

  1. The Qualifying Exam (Q): is required by CEE and must be taken by the end of a student’s second or third semester in the Ph.D. program (after a required minimum of 9 graded/course credits in the second or 12 graded/course credits in the third on a Cornell transcript; these course credits may also include up to a total of two 3XXX and 4XXX-level courses). Its purpose is to confirm the student’s fitness and potential for continuing Ph.D. study, including command of the fundamentals linked to research and beyond. This aids the student’s thesis advisor and the concentration members involved in the Q-exam in planning the student’s PhD program. It may be oral and/or written, and is conducted by the faculty (or a subset thereof) in the candidate’s major concentration, and not their special committee. Emeritus faculty are permitted to participate. Committee composition is finalized by the advisor. Minimum number of faculty members is set to three. It is left to the discretion of the individual concentration whether the Q exam will test the student on relevant coursework or research, e.g. discussing a research paper. The result must be reported to the Director of Graduate Studies within seven days of the Q exam date (form is available here) along with all course credits completed as of that point – this should not be submitted to the Graduate School. Results forms are automatically forwarded to faculty Q exam committee members at time of form submission. If you need a Q Exam form or help with approvals, please work with the Assistant Director of Graduate Programs. Since this is a CEE requirement and not a Graduate School requirement, the form is not available on the Graduate School’s website, nor does it have to be scheduled in advance with anyone except the faculty who are attending the exam. Students who pass the Q Exam continue in their doctoral studies (Code VI.F.3.)

If an exam is failed, with permission of the faculty advisor, the student is allowed to retake the exam in the exact same format one more time. No forms of conditional pass are permitted. The Q exam cannot be retaken any later than one semester after the initial exam; DGS approval needs to first be secured.

An exception to the Q exam policy is for M.S./Ph.D. students, the M exam can be used to fulfill the Q exam requirements.

  1. The A Exam (A): is required by the Graduate School. All Ph.D. students are required to have an A Exam, which can be completed after two semesters of registration and must be completed before the start of the 7th semester (Code VI.F.1.c.) Code of Legislation. Some concentrations award a non-thesis M.S. degree out to Ph.D. candidates that have passed the A exam. Please check with your major advisor and committee prior to taking your exam.
  2. The B Exam (B): all doctoral students take a Final Examination (which is the oral defense of the dissertation) upon completion of all requirements for the degree, no earlier than one month before completion of the minimum registration requirement (Code VI.F.1.d.)

Exam Administration – M, A, and B Exams
For the M, A, and B exam, the exam schedule must be submitted to the Graduate School a minimum of 7 days in advance of the exam (online form.) The schedule and results forms must be signed by all current Special Committee Members of record and the Director of Graduate Studies. Scheduling of exams should be posted by email to the field faculty by the Assistant Director of Graduate Programs. Please send your title and abstract to the Graduate Field Coordinator once the exam is scheduled so an announcement can be drafted. The Results of the Examination (also an online form) must be submitted to the Graduate School within three business days following the exam. Per the Code of Legislation. Please request clarification from the Assistant Director of Graduate Programs with clarifying questions.

Examinations General – M, A, and B Exams
The M, A, and B Exams are conducted by the Special Committee and occasionally supplemented by specially invited faculty participants. For a student to pass any of the exams, all members of the special committee must approve. The result of an examination, whether pass or fail, must be reported promptly to both the Graduate School and the Director of Graduate Studies of the field within three business days after the date of the exam.

With the exception that all examinations shall be wholly or partly oral, the special committee has full discretion in the content and conduct of examinations and may require any additional examinations it deems necessary.

Special Committees

Click to Open

Per the Code of Legislation, the Graduate Faculty requires both research M.S. and Ph.D. students to have identified (or been assigned) a Special Committee Chair or a temporary advisor no later than three weeks after the first registration in the Graduate School (submitted to the Graduate School via Student Center). Per the Code, the Graduate Faculty requires M.S. students to have a full Special Committee no later than the end of the second semester and no later than the end of the third semester for Ph.D. students (Code VI.B.6.).

Each candidate selects a Special Committee that guides and judges the student’s progress in graduate study. M.S. candidates select a Special Committee Chairman from the major subject area and a Member from a minor subject area that is demonstrated to be distinctly different (in terms of research scope and course requirements) from the student’s major subject area, and sometimes add a third Member representing a second minor or for special thesis supervision. Some concentrations assign provisional advisors at the time of matriculation (ie: Transportation) while others have a meeting of the concentration faculty to discuss how students will be assigned with mentors (ie: EP). For the Ph.D. degree in CEE, two additional members are chosen and one ordinarily should be from a Field other than CEE.

Ph.D. candidates must select three Special Committee Members; the third Member is to be selected from either from a concentration in CEE that is different from the concentration represented by the Committee Chair or from a field external to that of CEE. More than the minimum number of Members may serve on Special Committees and such extra Members do not have to be officially identified as representing particular Concen­trations. A Chair should be named as soon as possible, but no later than completion of one semester of study. A full special committee is required before the end of the third semester of study.

Ph.D. students are normally admitted into the program connected to an advisor and funding support. Changing an advisor may disrupt funding plans, please discuss plans for changing an advisor with the Assistant Director for Graduate Programs and/or the DGS.

Candidates may change or add Special Committee Members with the approval of all continuing and new Committee Members. Changes for valid reasons may be made at any time except within three months prior to the M.S. Final Examination or after the Ph.D. Admission to Candidacy Examination, in which case approval of the General Committee of the Graduate School is required. Candidates should be cautioned that a reconstituted Special Committee is not obliged to accept prior commitments made to a candidate by its predecessor Committee.

If you have a conflict with your advisor, and you feel that it is ongoing, please contact the DGS office to explore possible avenues of resolution.  Also refer to the Code of Legislation Section VII, “Conflict Resolution.” 

Required training

Click to Open

Please check with your advisor as to whether or not training will be required for your concentration to access lab space or use equipment.

Per the Code of Legislation, the Graduate Faculty requires all research degree students, both M.S. and Ph.D., to complete research in responsible conduct of research (RCR training), including authorship, peer review, and avoidance and consequences of research misconduct. This training us through the Cornell Office of Research Integrity and Assurance (ORIA) and must be completed before the end of the second semester (Code E.2.a.).


Click to Open

M.Eng. students are self-funded. M.Eng. students are not eligible for assistantships in CEE, however, they can hold hourly grading appointments that do not provide tuition assistance. Some merit-based fellowships are available and select students will receive college fellowships.

Most M.S. students are self-funded upon admission. All are eligible for assistantships.

All Ph.D. students are fully funded upon admission. Funding promises are made directly with faculty chairs on grant support, with a teaching assistantship, or fellowship (no appointment commitment.) Summer support is usually arranged by a student’s faculty advisor, and promised for a certain period of time which is mapped out in admission offer letters. Continued funding may be available with good progress towards degree and availability.

Teaching assistantships are allocated to every research concentration, and faculty leads in conjunction with School leadership determine which students will be teaching assistants. Graduate School policies on assistantships can be found here. Please refer to policy 1.3 for stipend payment schedules, policies for appointments, and holiday information. All graduate students are encouraged to apply for external fellowships and assistantships. All funding is contingent with good standing within the program.

Funding for travel, research, and conferences may be provided by an advisor (depending on availability). Research and conference grant support is also available through Graduate School application.

Most of the merit-based financial aid awarded in the research programs are in the form of fellowships or teaching and research assistantships which pay full tuition, health insurance, and a 9-month stipend (for a work commitment of 15-20 hours per week). Competition for these assistantships and fellowships is very keen and in general only about 5% of new M.S. applicants will receive an offer of financial aid. Fellowships are not available for spring admits.

Please note that credits earned at another university cannot be transferred to an M.S. (or Ph.D.) program at Cornell, nor can they count towards the 18 minimum credits required for CEE graduation.

Student Progress Review

Click to Open

The Student Progress Review (SPR) supports regular communication including written feedback between students and their advisors, requiring research degree students and their Special Committee to have at least one formal conversation each year about academic progress, accomplishments, and plans. Students complete a form describing milestones completed, accomplishments, challenges and plans. The Special Committee chair responds in writing and indicates whether the student’s progress is excellent, satisfactory, needs improvement, or is unsatisfactory. Students normally complete the SPR in late-fall, having the advisor review process completed prior to the start of the Spring semester. First-year students also complete the SPR as a baseline for data and goal planning.

Field-specific requirements and resources

Click to Open

The Field of CEE requires M.S. students to spend a minimum of two semesters in residency on the Ithaca campus. Ph.D. students are required to spend an equivalent minimum of three semesters of residency on the Ithaca campus, with a minimum of six semesters as registered students. Petitioning for in-absentia is permitted, with respect to deadlines, please review the in-absentia policy. The form to petition to go in-absentia can be found on the Graduate School forms site. More information on Cornell University Graduate School residency requirements can be found in the Code of Legislation.

Building security and Keys

Click to Open

Keycard Access

  • Contact the Facilities Coordinator at 607-255-1041.
  • Provide the room number(s), your Cornell ID number, and an end date for access.
  • For access to the Bovay Lab, contact the Manager of Technical Services, 607-255-4078.

Temporary keycards

  • Temporary keycards are available for any member of the CEE Community who has reserved a CEE managed space in Hollister Hall (166, 167, 201, 202, 208, or 366).
  • Please contact the Front Desk / Events and Main Office Coordinator to reserve a space civil_env_eng@cornell.edu or 607-255-2542.
  • Indicate the date, time, duration, number of people, and meeting title/purpose.
  • Sign out a keycard in the Main Office and return it as soon as your event is over.
  • Temporary keycards can be returned after office hours in the open mail slot outside of 220 Hollister Hall.

Physical keys

  • If you are assigned an office space in Hollister Hall, keys are available to be signed out.
  • Once you are assigned an office space, read and complete the Key Request Form.
  • When the form is received, a key will be pulled and you will be contacted when it is available for pick-up.
  • If you have any questions, contact the Front Desk / Events and Main Office Coordinator at civil_env_eng@cornell.edu or 607-255-2542.

Contact information

Click to Open

Main Office – 220 Hollister Hall, 607-255-2542, civil_env_eng@cornell.edu

Assistant Director of Graduate Programs – 219 Hollister Hall, 607-255-7560, cee_grad@cornell.edu

Director of Graduate Studies – 317 Hollister Hall, 607-255-4049, Email: cee_dgs@cornell.edu

CEE Faculty Directory - https://www.cee.cornell.edu/cee/faculty-directory

CEE Staff Directory - https://www.cee.cornell.edu/cee/people/staff-directory

Field trips

Click to Open

If you or your group are interested in planning a field trip would need to:

  • Provide CEE’s Director of Administration with a budget, expected participants, and purpose for the trip.
  • Then work with the CEE Accounts Representative, who will facilitate the risk waivers and any other details, such as renting a fleet vehicle etc. 
  • All attendees for any off-campus activities must sign a Hold Harmless Form / Trip Release Agreement for the event. 
    • Send an email to Cornell Risk Management to request a specific Hold Harmless form for the event, providing the below info:
      • University Department sponsoring the trip
      • Name of the conference / competition
      • Dates of the trip
      • Trip location
      • Transportation and lodging arrangements
      • Conference itinerary


Click to Open

Almost all forms are available on the Graduate School forms site.

The only form housed internally is the Q exam results form.

Minors available to students in the field

Click to Open

Minor requirements are determined by an M.S. or Ph.D. student’s minor committee members housed in CEE and vary based upon concentration.

Photocopying and supplies

Click to Open

Photocopying for Courses and Labs
There are two large copiers in the Main Office that can be used, during office hours, for TA’s and RA’s of CEE courses and labs.

If you need copies made for you, details can be provided in person via the Copy Request Form (available in the Main Office) or via email.

  • Please leave ample time for your request to be completed.

Copy Paper
CEE’s main office has copy paper available to refill your Hollister Hall office printers. Please stop by the office to pick it up or contact the Front Desk / Events and Main Office Coordinator at civil_env_eng@cornell.edu, 607-255-3438 / 607-255-2542.

Printer Ink/Toner
CEE’s main office can order replacement ink/toner for your Hollister Hall office printers.

  • Please provide the following information to civil_env_eng@cornell.edu:
    • Office #
    • Information on cartridge(s). Ex. HP 78A or Canon 251 & 250XL)

Print a poster
CEE has a plotter in the main office (up to 42” matte and glossy), costing $6/linear foot.

For questions about photocopying or supplies, contact the Front Desk / Events and Main Office Coordinator civil_env_eng@cornell.edu, 607-255-3438 / 607-255-2542

Teaching assignments

Click to Open

Are determined by the concentration areas independently. Most graduate students in CEE TA for courses their advisor is instructing.

Field-based orientation

Click to Open

Fall Orientation for M.Eng., M.S., and Ph.D. students normally takes place within seven calendar days before classes begin in August.

Lab manuals

Click to Open

Bovay Lab Manuals
EP Lab Manuals: Available upon request of lab head.

Lab Safety Training

  • You will need to have Lab Safety Trainings before you can receive keycard access to a lab space.
  • Trainings can be found on CULearn
  • The following trainings are required for all Cornell lab workers:
    • COE 110 - Vertére Chemical Inventory Training
    • EHS Laboratory Safety (#2555)
    • EHS Chemical Waste Disposal (#2716)
  • The following trainings are required based on the specific chemicals or equipment in the lab:
    • EHS Corrosive Chemical Safety (#3835)
    • EHS Cleaning up Small Lab Spills (#2394)
    • EHS Radiation Safety Sealed Source (#5325)
    • EHS Laser Safety (#2397)
    • EHS Personal Protective Equipment General (#2347)
  • Once you have completed all necessary trainings:
    • Send your Cornell ID number and the lab name / room number to the Facilities Coordinator at pjc32@cornell.edu to be granted access.

For questions about lab trainings, contact the Facilities Coordinator / Instructional Support, 607-255-1041.

For Bovay Lab safety information, contact the Manager of Technical Services, 607-255-4078.