CE Program Educational Objectives and Outcomes
The School of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Cornell University is dedicated to providing the highest quality broad-based technical, scientific, and liberal education. We create and maintain an outstanding educational program in a climate that fosters diverse skills designed for professional success.
Our program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET (www.abet.org), and our Program Educational Objectives and Student Outcomes, listed below for the Civil Engineering (CE) program, are consistent with the requirements of ABET.
Corresponding Objectives and Outcomes for the Environmental Engineering (EnvE) program may be found on the EnvE website.
The Program Educational Objectives for the Civil Engineering major are to prepare our students to:
- Achieve excellence in engineering decision-making and design,
- Attain leadership careers in engineering practice,
- Complete graduate professional engineering education,
- Pursue advanced study and research in engineering, and
- Engage in diverse, alternative career choices.
Undergraduates in the Civil Engineering major will have attained the following outcomes by graduation. Students will have the ability to:
- Identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
- Apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
- Communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- Recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions.
- Function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
- Develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
- Acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
Civil Engineering Major Graduates
|Year||Number of students|